Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Skills for the 21st Century


Over the past couple of days I have been reading, researching, and exploring the website of the Partnership for 21st Century Skills (http://p21.org/). I am not too tech-savvy, but this website is very user-friendly. The colors throughout the website grab your attention, especially on the home page. The main graphic that represents the "Framework for 21st Century Learning" (see below) would catch anyone's attention, not just educators.
p21_rainbow_id254









I found that the website broke down this vision for student’s success framework graphic into more detail; you can even download and save a pdf file for yourself. Each page seems to have a link of an explanation of the page before. A whole lot of information is available. For those beginner teachers, such as myself, there is even a link that is an implementation guide for 21st Century Curriculum and Instruction! So, you can take things slow and one step at a time!

A few negatives to the website (I couldn't find many) is how overwhelmed with the amount of information presented there. I also tried researching my state initiatives and found that Michigan is not part of the "seven step successful statewide initiative." I also found that this website has a brilliant mission statement, but I had to search for it. I believe with such a strong and positive mission (http://p21.org/about-us/our-mission), this should be posted on the home page.

If you have a free moment (I know, I know, who has free moments anymore) take some time to explore this website. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I agree that there is a great deal of information on the Paratnership's website. Fortunately, the implementation guide gives the educator steps to follow for integrating these skills into the classroom (critical thinking and problem solving, communication, collaboration, and creativity and innovation). By incorporating these skills into our teaching, we can empower future generations to compete on a global scale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can definitely get lost on the website. I know there are lots of articles and fees in some areas. However, I tried to focus on the how to implement 21st century skills into the classroom information. This area gave great sample lessons and videos.

    ReplyDelete