Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Cooperative Learning with Technology

Do you remember having a pen pal growing up? I had one during the Persian Gulf War with a US soldier. I loved writing letters to him and I enjoyed even more when he wrote back! Honestly, I learned so much from his letters. Now, look at the technology we have today and how much students could interact with people across the world! One neat example would be to use Keypals. This is a way students can communicate with others in different cities, states, and countries using technology (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007.)  I could also use these resources to collaborate with other teachers. I am the sole math teacher in the building and working cooperatively with other educators from different cities, states, or even countries, could provide me with incite, resources, ideas, or even share stories! Skype is another way to talk with others face to face without actually being face to face. I have only used Skype for personal reasons, but it could easily be used for meetings, conferences, and student assignments. I guess the days of pen and paper is long gone!

Currently at work, we use Google Calendars to keep track of main due dates, upcoming events, staff meetings, and anything deemed important. This is a great way for the staff to organize collaboratively. We are working on our schools’ website to create teacher webpages, so students can check for missing work, due dates, activities, and other important events. After learning about blogs and wikis, I wanted to create one for my classroom immediately, but chose to hold off because the district is actively working on the website. If we can make it more user-friendly and more accessible for our students I could add a link to our classroom blog or wiki. I think the organization and class management would also increase with the webpage updates.

This technology supports social learning theories. Working cooperatively with others can be used in a variety of ways. Small groups or pairs work best when checking for understanding. Plus, students tend to share more with fewer students in the group. I would like to use www.homesofourown.org in my math class next school year. This website has students “build” an entire home (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007). They can see how much materials will cost, they can choose the site to build their home on, and then teachers can have them solve problems using their 3D model of their home. Ideally, I would like to have students work in pairs, as if they were a couple building their future house together. This project would both engage in cooperative learning, but also enhance social learning theories.



References:

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the building the home website. I think that is such a wonderful way to implement a project based type of learning. A colleague of mine had her students build a whole community this year. It would have been a great addition having a site that incorporate cost for building. When doing our Electric Circuits unit, I too have students design and plan how to wire their homes. Along with the planning their is a cost sheet in which I award teams points for being the most cost effective. All of these ideas put together should make for an exciting project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last year I had my students create a city using three-dimensional figures. I just photocopied the shapes and they colored, cut, folded, and glued the shapes together to build a city. Now, that technology can be used, I think the students are really going to like this assignment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mandie,

    When I opened the link you supplied I smiled. I picked up a few of those CDs my first year of teaching at a technology trade show. I never used them in class, but gave to interested students. I remember one girl using one with her father who was a carpenter. She said she liked it. I think she wanted to be an architect. (Funny I can remember that and not what my wife told me to do earlier today.)

    I also would like to implement Skype or something similar with my classes next year. I would love to have students communicating live with other students doing the same project at another school. I can visualize this being a home run. I would be interested hearing comments from someone that has done this.
    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe,
    My dad and his two brothers are in the construction business together, so this activity I do with the students is close to heart for me! Last year I gave them a week to complete the assignment and this year, I found out that a week was WAY too much time (wasted), so I gave them two days to complete. They finished no problem! For the 2012-2013 school year I am going to use this new website and hope the students continue to have fun and enjoy this assignment. I know I'm excited already!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mandie,

    Thank you for sharing that source. I think it is a great tool to teach students responsibility and other "real life" skills that I think we should be teaching them in high school! This is something relevant to their lives and I bet they'd really enjoy it. I wish I could find something similar to incorporate into my English class. I think the technology aspect of your project will make it that much more engaging. Nice post :)

    ReplyDelete