Monday, April 16, 2012

Bridging Learning Theory, Instruction, and Technology Course Reflection

At the beginning of this course, I thought I had a good understanding of the multiple intelligences and learning theories. After this course, I feel I have a deeper understanding of how exactly the brain functions when learning new material. I did not know a whole lot about educational technologies or how to incorporate these strategies into the classroom. My goals are still the same as they were seven weeks ago. I really want to produce a student-centered classroom in my alternative high school. I want to bring motivation to the classroom where effort is not a difficult task for my high school students.

Starting next school year, I am implementing an effort rubric (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007). The class will collaborate and come up with the categories and the grading scale for this rubric. Each assignment, project, and/or activity will be scored on effort as well as content. To create this rubric, I may use www.landmark-project.com/rubric_builder/index.php to get the students started (Pitler et al., 2007, pg. 160). Ideally, I would like to create our own using Microsoft Excel, as this software is familiar to me and my students. When using this rubric, I am hoping to be able to show the students graphical representation of how effort affects their grade. I am also hoping to improve the effort and motivation in my high school classroom.  

Speaking of graphical representations, I want to use more concept mapping resources to help students with mathematical vocabulary and to show how different mathematical concepts relate to one another. Over the course we looked at a few great websites, but SpiderScribe www.spiderscribe.net and Grapholite www.grapholite.com were my two favorites!

After receiving a SMART board and ELMO document camera as a Spring Break gift, I plan on using this to incorporate some technology into my classroom. I know this is a broad generalization, but the sky is the limit. I was working with an overhead projector with transparencies before Spring Break and now I leave work without marker smudges all over my clothes and hands! I have already used Power Point as a lesson presentation and I have used the board to project a short VHS video. My Power Point had more words than I had hoped for originally. L Next time, I am going to try and use Paivio’s dual coding hypothesis by using images as instruction (Laureate Education, Inc., 2011). Students will be able to visualize the image as I am vocally describing the concept.

To make my life even easier, I would like to buy a wireless mouse and keyboard. I have such small class sizes, I would love to sit down with the students and be able to present the lesson while sitting with them. If I am already sitting with them, then I can have my students get up and present lessons! This will bring in one of my goals into the classroom by incorporating more student-centered classroom. I would sit back and act as a facilitator rather than the leader. Students will lead the lesson!

Overall, this course has been great for me! I gained deeper knowledge into theories I already knew, learned about new theories and technology resources, and was shown multiple tools to use for my classroom. I want to thank my professor and my classmates for such delightful feedback, comments, suggestions, input, and advice. Being in my first full year of teaching, I am one luck lady to have such brilliant go-to teachers for help! J

References:

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2011). Program thirteen: Technology: Instructional tool vs. learning tool [Video webcast]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Retrieved from http://laureate.ecollege.com/ec/crs/default.learn?CourseID=5700267&CPURL=laureate.ecollege.com&Survey=1&47=2594577&ClientNodeID=984650&coursenav=0&bhcp=1

 Pitler H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom
instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

No comments:

Post a Comment