Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Game Time

  Game Time

With the Super Bowl right around the corner, it is only appropriate to be thinking of GAME plans! For my Master’s course, I have to come up with a GAME plan, an acronym for Goals, taking Action, Monitoring, and Evaluating for my own classroom practices (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009). Teachers are constantly looking for ways to improve and educate themselves for the future, especially when technology is continuously changing. These technology standards need to be met by all teachers to engage students and improve learning.

While exploring the International Society for Technology in Education’s (ISTE) National Education Standards for Teachers (NETS-T), I asked myself where I could improve as an educator.  I am always trying to boost the self-esteem of my students and prepare them for life after high school. I believe having more experience with NETS-T 2b, develop technology-enriched learning environments that enable all students to pursue their individual curiosities and become active participants in setting their own educational goals, managing their own learning, and assessing their own progress, could strengthen my confidence and proficiency (ISTE, 2008).

Beach      Goal: To add technology into my classroom lessons and incorporate technology based assessments. I would like to have more 21st century projects versus standards multiple choice tests for final assessments. This goal would also help me prepare my students for the newly adopted Common Core State Standards and the Smarter Board Assessment Consortium.

Beach       Action: To borrow successful technology based assessments, tweak them for my alternative education students, and then incorporate these new assessments starting 2013-2014 school year. Completing remove multiple choice standardized paper pencil tests.

Beach       Monitor: After each major assessment, I will meet and collaborate with my mentor teacher. She can provide feedback, advise, comments, and/or criticisms. From there, I can take my findings to staff meetings to share with the entire faculty.

Beach       Evaluate: At the end of the semester, compare each assessment with notes from my mentor teacher, faculty, and research how closely related these technology based assessments reflect the Smart Balance Assessment Consortium.

The second technology standard I would like to improve is NETS-T 5a-d, engaging in professional growth and leadership (ISTE, 2008).  Having to meet certain requirements to renew my teaching certification, attending workshops or seminars about technology and how to incorporate it into my classroom practice, can only help me strengthen my confidence and proficiency. I am required to have 15 days of outside professional development by the end of my third year of teaching. Four days to go, so this would make more a great opportunity to kill two birds with one stone!

Beach      Goal: Attend five days of outside professional development workshops regarding technology. Bring back resources and useful information to fellow colleagues.

Beach      Action: Locate a local workshop, get approval from administrative staff, and register for the professional development session before the end of the school year.

Beach      Monitor: Keep track of the amount of hours attended for a total of five days in the Michigan Online Educator Certification System (MOECS).

Beach      Evaluate: Meet with central office in the school district by April to make sure all of my requirements are fulfilled before I submit for my teaching certification renewal in June.

In this 21st century, it is important to make sure we keep up to date, be confident, and proficient in these new and emerging technologies. Not only are these goals important to us and our career, but they will only improve our students’ education. We must prepare ourselves in any way necessary. GAME ON!

 

References:

Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom
use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning

 

International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). National education standards for
teachers (NETS-T). Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/standards/nets-for-teachers

8 comments:

  1. I love how you presented you information. You are created some great goals for yourself. After reading your blog and another classmates’ blog, I think I am going to add alternative assessments using technology as one of my sideline goals. I feel that how students are assessed is very vital in ensuring student’s success in learning. You also stated that for your second goal you wanted to engage in more professional development. This was one of my goals, as well. Professional development is very vital when trying to learn and share new ways to engage our students. This will help educators to collaborate new ideas and to share various teaching strategies to make learning more meaningful and fun. I feel that as educators we must stay abreast with the current information and models to continue to make a safe, secure, and stimulating learning environment for our students on all levels of learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mandie,
    I enjoyed reading your post! Does your school support project based learning? I try to weave it into my curriculum as often as I can although the school remains heavily focused on raising test scores. I am so glad that you have a mentor teacher to work with- even after teaching for years I still partake in working with a mentor to keep learning and growing.

    I use primarily performance based assessments with projects. I would like to do more cross curricular blended assessments in the future. We do not do portfolios at this time although I have heard from colleagues that they are an excellent way to archive progress.

    I like how you linked the two goals- by seeking professional development opportunities you will learn about new technologies that you can use in your classroom to challenge your students. I am not sure if you read the professional development opportunities on the ISTE website but they sounded quite interesting. I also check regularly with my local colleges and universities in the Philly area as they offer an incredible variety of technology workshops. I also put the word out to fellow teachers and my principal to please keep me in mind if they come across any tech workshops being offered. I belong to several organizations such as NJEA that often offer PD opportunities. Perhaps the greatest resource for me is my online network of blogs and contacts. Having a family of fellow educators sharing their experience with technology can do in the classroom is a very valuable resource.

    Thanks so much for sharing your goals. I hope we can help you fulfill them! Best regards, Petra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mandie
    I like the way you equated your GAME plan with the game of football. I also liked the fact that you use your mentor teacher to help you monitor and evaluate your progress on the plan. That reflective collaboration is one of the most authentic methods of assessing student (teacher in this case) progress. Your idea of attending local or outside workshops is also a good goal that would assist you in achieving your objective. You will not only benefit by building a positive collaborative community but you will be able to utilized the knowledge acquired in your teaching immediately.

    Nice thoughts. Your plan sounds achievable.
    Ezra Jonah Greene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ezra,
      Thank you for your comments! I have grown up watching football and it's the first thing that came to mind, when this class began!
      My mentor teacher has been extremely helpful to me throughout the past two years. If she doesn't know the answer to something, she either finds out for me or finds me someone that can lead me in the right direction. Not to brag, but I also have communication with my college mentor teacher from my student teaching. She was helpful with finding me substitute teaching jobs right outside of college and then finally a teaching job a few years ago! I have been very blessed and am thankful for them!
      Mandie

      Delete
    2. Hi Mandie
      You are one of the fortunate ones. Having mentors that truly support your development is a gift of a lifetime. Make good use of this privilege.

      Your comments really had me thinking of the importance of mentoring to teacher development. It is an excellent means of providing support especially with the integration of technology in the classroom. Minor & Pascopella (2007) observed that 96% of students use technology on a daily basis (p.2). Educators on the other hand do not use the technology as much and are sometimes uncomfortable about using them. Having a mentor that encourage and support technology use is an invaluable resource for any teacher.

      All the best.
      E Jonah Greene

      Reference
      Minors, Z., & Pascopella, A. (2007). The new literacies. District Adminstration 43(10), 26-34

      Delete
  4. This is an awesome post! I really enjoyed reading about your goals. I had also selected one of the NETS-T points of emphasis for myself as well. I am also a new teacher, and I hadn't thought to use my mentor teacher as a resource. If I were to revise my goal, I would add in a statement about my mentor teacher being involved in the process.

    I also admire your professional development goal. I think that sometimes I feel as though we have so much professional development through our school district that I forget that there is PD outside of the school as well. Do you have resources already available to you that you plan to use in your search to find these professional development sessions?

    After I read your post I tried to search for some outside professional development opportunities in my area. I was quite unsuccessful in my search. What type of organizations in your area provide outside professional development?

    Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colleen,
      Some of my favorite outside professional development opportunities have been at KRESA (Kalamazoo Regional Education Service Agency) and the local ISD. Kalamazoo is about 20 minutes East of Paw Paw, but well worth the drive! My mentor teacher set me up in the right direction when it came to finding PD. Word of mouth is always a great way to find information out, even in this technology world!
      Best of luck locating some great professional development,
      Mandie

      Delete
  5. Mandie,

    I really enjoyed your post! You were very creative in equating the GAME plan to football so close to the Superbowl. I am sure your students appreciate your creativity, as well. You have set some very clear and strong goals for yourself. As a new teacher your mentor will be a great asset in achieving your goals. Reflective collaboration is so important to any educator, new or seasoned.You have a strong action plan of communication and collaboration through your mentor, colleagues, and PD making your goals achievable. Any opportunity to gain new ideas and perspectives will be helpful to successfully accomplishing your GAME plan. It is amazing how much information is available to us through simple internet searches and communications colleagues.

    Good luck with your GAME Plan, I am sure you will gain some wonderful insights throughout the process!

    Daniela Petruzzella

    ReplyDelete