Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Instructional Teaching Strategies that Help Teach for Understanding

Let’s talk about improving and spicing up your classroom!

Integrating multiple senses into lesson plans will increase and improve learning, especially through presentation. If a teacher uses just two of the senses, such as visual and audio, this will help store information into long-term memory. When presenting information to a class, show text and images to explain a concept. This is an example of Paivio’s dual coding hypothesis (Laureate Education, Inc., Inc., 2011).  One example for a Financial Planning Math class would be to have students create a budget in Microsoft Excel and then display this information in a pie chart. The learners would then have a real-world relation, maybe even episodic (Laureate education, Inc., 2011) memory to correlate this assignment information.

Another valuable strategy would be to have students take notes BUT with some pizazz! Change it up a bit, use a template, use a Word document, use pictures, graphs, or a combination of these. In the book Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works, the authors describe multiple note taking strategies (Pilter, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007).

Along with these new and improved note taking skills, add a graphic organizer! Brainstorming can also be used in a math classroom. Who says you can’t use a concept map to represent Real Numbers? Any number is a real number, but where does a rational number fit in or a complex number? A charted diagram could display the sequence and categories of numbers. Graphic organizers are not just for your English class!

On a personal note, I am looking forward to Virtual Trips! I have never used one in my classroom and I never been on one myself! This is another strategy teachers can incorporate into their classrooms to help with understanding. If students can virtually explore a concept, they will more likely remember it. Being a math teacher, I am not sure where to go on my first virtual field trip! Any thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?   



References
Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2011). Program five: Cognitive learning theory [Video webcast]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Retrieved from http://laureate.ecollege.com/ec/crs/default.learn?CourseID=5700267&CPURL=laureate.ecollege.com&Survey=1&47=2594577&ClientNodeID=984650&coursenav=0&bhcp=1
 
Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

6 comments:

  1. Mandie,
    As an economics teacher, I have taken my students on virtual field trips to the Federal Reserve Banks, the U.S. Mint, or the Bureau of Engraving. There are several websites that incorporate lessons and such. One that I use quite often is http://www.federalreserveeducation.org. It has numerous resources and lesson plans for all grade levels. Another well used website is http://www.usmint.gov/kids/ from the U.S. Mint. It is geared more towards younger students but my older ones like it just as much. There is an interactive timeline where students can research history, a section for games, and news about coin collections and such. Using these sites brings a real world context into the classroom as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra,
    Thank you so much for your advice! Since all of this is brand new to me along with being a first time teacher, I am willing to take any input and try any new ideas! I would to try the Federal Reserve Banks virtual field trip that sounds neat! I'm exciting to beginning creating new lesson plans for my students!
    Thanks again,
    Mandie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandie,
    I love your suggestions for integrating multiple senses into lessons. I am going to try what you said about adding "pizzaz" to note taking. Taking notes is the worst part about my class, I think. I always apologize ahead of time to my students because it is a lot of writing and they just listen to me talk. Last time, I tried something different (it was really only because I was absent, but my students loved it). I uploaded a powerpoint presentation to our wikispace and left them with a template to fill in. They were able to go at their own pace and use technology, which they always love. What other ways have you all delivered notes? I think they're necessary--how else can we spice them up?

    Thanks for the post, Mandie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whitney,
    I began with an "old-fashion" note taking skill with my students at the beginning of last school year, notebook paper and pencil. That did not work. Then I went to a template type worksheet, they were confused as to what and where to fill in. So now, I have what I call, a note sheet. I have the same exact one in a transparency. I take notes with them on the overhead, as I am lecturing or teaching a concept. I find they follow along and actually take the notes if I do it too!
    I do not have any other form of technology in my classroom, as of right now, but I would LOVE to try your PowerPoint note taking. I think my students would like it! Thanks for your thought!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mandie,

    It is funny you wrote about taking notes. I tried something the other day. I told the students to stop taking notes, just listen and participate in the discussion. When the discussion was over I told them to draw a sketch of whatever they wanted and place comments in it. You should have seen some of the looks on their faces when I told them to stop taking notes. I am going to keep doing it for a week. We have been hearing a lot about visuals in this course. What do you think will happen?

    I was thinking the same thing as Sandra for the virtual tours. If I come up with any I will let you know.

    Joe

    ReplyDelete