Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Only time will tell...

Teaching at an alternative high school can be challenging. Trying new techniques, strategies, projects, assessments, classroom management, and lecturing are just a few of the items required when working with students in need of accommodations. The teacher has to create an idea and then test this idea out on the students. Working with alternative education, may require numerous amounts of ideas to be generated! Once teachers have found something that works, it’s filed away for the next school year. Now, this may or may not be useable for the next group of students! Trial and error, give and take, hit or miss. These are just a few ways to say “generating and testing hypothesis” (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007).  This is a strategy out of the book Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works.

Teachers can help students generate and test hypotheses by six simple tasks: system analysis, problem-solving, historical investigation, invention, experimental inquiry, and decision-making (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007). Working primarily with high school math, I use problem solving and decision making constantly. Ideally, to take the problem-solving or decision-making one step further, I would like to add an “interactive applets” or “probeware” to the assignment (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007). This approach allows more time for students to interpret the data or information, rather than spending all class period gathering the data or info. Knocking out a big chunk of time, makes room to “maximize instruction time and meet learning objectives” (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007). Bringing the technology software into a math classroom is going to let students  “gain a deeper understanding” and requires them to use “critical thinking skills to predict outcomes” (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007).

Michigan has adopted the new Common Core State Standards, along with the majority of the States, and these new Standards are emphasizing problem-solving with higher level thinking skills. The CCSS requires critical thinking of real-world applications. This sounds a lot like what Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski are trying to get across in their book. Teaching is moving in a new direction. Is it going to be better? Is it going to fail? How much trial and error cases will we need to do before we get it right? How many hypotheses will we generate and test in the next few years?

Only time will tell…



References
Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom
instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

6 comments:

  1. You sound as though you are refering to watching the pendulum swing as we call it. Washington State is also in the process of adopting common core standards. We have held meeting after meeting to discuss what to stop teaching and what to add to our curriculum. I tend to zone out during these conversations. I get a little frustrated because of the constant changes only to see it come back around as something we call a mistake later. Lately I have been focused on myself, my kids, and my own classroom. Politics is playing such a large role in education with all the pay cuts right now, I am attempting to fill the gaps for my students and do what I know is needed in their future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound like me!!
      I am sitting back and waiting until "they" make up their minds and tell me what to do. I feel like I am being pulled in multiple directions. Also, every time I ask a question, I get the same answer, "I don't know yet" or "I will have to find out for you." How frustration!
      As for now, I am here to help support my students. I have to prepare them for the real world and give them the best education I can possible do.

      Delete
  2. One can only hope that teaching is moving in a new direction because where we are (at least in my district in rural Southern California) it is not working well. Albert Einstein said "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Trying new things, testing hypothesis after hypothesis, although may seem maddening is just keeping us from going insane. The rest we cannot control. Real-world applications make the most sense, since they will be using it in the real world. Now we just need students to believe that they will need it for the real world.

    I completely agree with you that when you find something that works, you get to test again with a new group of students because it may not work for them. I stumble upon that one a lot, as no group of kindergartners is ever like the one before it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mandie,

    I guess you would have to be creative and have many ideas and activities for the classes you teach. I have a question, any gray hair due to your classes? I agree, what works for one group may not work for the next. When this happens with me I sit back and pull out my hair trying to figure out what I might have forgotten during the lesson.

    We did implement the Common Core State Standards this past year. They overlap the ITEA standards that I follow. I do feel teaching is headed in the right direction. When I started teaching I found that our students were behind other countries. Here is a link: http://nces.ed.gov/timss/ Do you think the changes being made are due to these results?

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe,
      Do the CCSS overlap the ITEA or are they add-on Standards that you have to teach?
      This is my fear. I am already stretched for time, trying to get through the MMC standards. And now, if I have to add more standards on top of that how will I fit them all in? Maybe they will overlap...ugh...it's so frustrating!
      Oh, by the way, no grey hair yet...that I am aware of!!! Haha! :)

      Delete
  4. Mandie,

    We're currently in the process of implementing Common Core Standards. I agree, there is a lot of higher level thinking from what I can tell. Teaching is constantly changing--I've only been teaching for three years, and I'm already learning new standards. Will it ever stop changing? Will we ever find something that works? I think you make a good point about how what works for one set of students might not work for another. I also believe you have to really get to know your students in order to figure out what will work for them. That's why I sometimes have a problem with the "superiors" in education telling us what is good for our classroom. I'm sure what works in my classroom doesn't work in your alternative setting. Nice blog post :)

    ReplyDelete