Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Monitoring My GAME Plan Progress

My Progress
 
As for my first goal, to incorporate my SMART board into my classroom has been put on a slight hold. For the past four school days, I have had a snow/ice day. Today was my first day back, since Monday, January 21st! Even though I have not had the opportunity to try out some new features, a fellow teacher provided me with; I have managed to “play” around with the board on my days off. That same colleague showed me some neat features that her students seem to enjoy in her classroom. For example, when I need students to participate in classroom discussion and/or participation, I need a way to call on them without embarrassing them or having them feel as if I am singling them out. So a simple activity for this process that I want to try is to use the SMART board to randomly roll a multi-sided die (one side for each student in the class). Each side of the die will have a student’s picture (from their school ID photos), when the die stops the students’ face that appears on the screen will either answer a question, come to the board to solve a warm-up problem, or define a vocabulary word (basically, any form of classroom participation). I am hoping this will be a suspenseful yet fun activity for all my students.

I have also received some wonderful insight and comments from my fellow Walden University peers involving the use of my SMART board! I am very thankful for the resources and links you have all provided me. Any bit of information to help me further my educational career is greatly appreciated.

For my second goal, I have submitted a permission slip to my boss to attend a two day professional development in Allegan, MI. This two day session will be devoted to the MAISA Mathematics Units developed by Oakland ISD. We will become familiar with the design targets, layout, and content of the units. Also, the units will be explored with a focus on implementation in the classroom setting. Supplemental resources, model lessons, and sequencing will all be covered in detail. I am so excited to be able to “borrow” material!

As of right now, I do not see a need to alter any part of my action plan. I feel I am on the right track to completing and fulfilling my GAME plan by the end of the school year. Just in the last three weeks, I have obtained multiple resources that will help guide me through finalizing my GAME plan!

2 comments:

  1. You appear to have your GAME plan on target. It is commendable that you have utilized your ice days to illicit support from your colleagues with your classroom smartboard. This collegial assistance can go a long way in building your support in your classroom. Your idea for the dice could be exciting for your students. Having your students take turns is a sure way of getting all of them involved. If it is done in a fun way, they can enjoy the interaction as well. You have put the plans in place for your professional development. I could see why you do not need to make changes with your plan. Nice work.
    Jonah

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems that you are doing well with your goals. You gave a great idea for involving students to be interactive in the classroom. It can also help to ensure that the students are staying on task. The students will have to always be prepared because they want know when they will get called on, some students may be eager to be called on because it is something new to them. It will also help to create a stimulating learning environment in your classroom. Also you should try and Google interactive games for students and you will get even more websites and interactive tools that your students and you will love. Also you may want to check the Staff Development for Educators website. They have some great workshops available on using the Smart board in the classroom. It seems to me that you will accomplish your goals in no time. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete